"Women produced nearly 25,000 guitars during World War II yet Gibson denied ever building instruments over this period," according to a 2013 history of the company.
Gibson folklore has also claimed its guitars were made by "seasoned craftsmen" who were "too old for war." In 1944 Gibson was purchased by Chicago Musical Instruments. Gibson hired Ted Mc Carty in 1948, who became President in 1950.
In 1961 the body design of the Les Paul was changed due to the demand for a double-cutaway body design.
The new body design then became known as the SG (for "solid guitar"), due to disapproval from Les Paul himself.
Gibson was owned by the Norlin corporation from 1969 to 1986. Initially, the company produced only Orville Gibson's original designs.